Ideas that wear well.®
CONTAMINANT: 4, 4-Methylenedianiline (MDA)
ORIGIN: Moldex® Technical Services Department
DATE: Updated December 2006
REVIEWED: JULY 2015
4, 4-Methylenedianiline (also known as MDA, 4, 4’-Methylenebisbenzeneamine, para, para’-Diaminodiphenylmethane, Dianilinomethane, 4, 4’-Diphenylmethanediamine) occurs as pale yellow crystals that darken when exposed to air and is slightly soluble in cold water.
Occupational exposure to MDA is possible through inhalation and dermal contact during its commercial manufacture and use as an intermediate. Acute (short term) health effects include irritation of the skin and eyes, liver damage, jaundice, weakness, abdominal pain, nausea, fever and chills. The chronic effects are unknown.
- Primarily used as an intermediate in the manufacture of polyurethane foams
- Curing agent for epoxy resins and urethane elastomers
- A corrosion preventative for iron
- Anti-oxidant for lubricating oils
- A rubber processing chemical
- Intermediate in manufacture of electrometric fibers (i.e. Spandex)
- In the manufacture of methylene diisocyanate
- Preparation of azo dyes (a large class of commercial dyes)
Any N100, P100 disposable respirator or the 7000, 8000 or 9000 series with P100 filters or cartridges. If heat is involved, 7100 OV with 7940 P100 or an 8100 organic vapor with 8940P100 should be used.
OSHA 29CFR1910.1050 has specific guidelines on this substance refer to link below:
WARNING: The information contained in this Tech Brief is dated and was accurate to the best of Moldex's knowledge, on the date above. It is not meant to be comprehensive, nor is it intended to be used in place of the warning/use instructions that accompany Moldex respirators. Outside of the USA, check with all applicable and local government regulations.
©2003-2010 Moldex-Metric, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
- Hearing Protection
- Twist In Earplugs
- Foam Ear Plugs
- Reusable Earplugs
- Metal Detectable Earplugs
- Respiratory Protection
- Disposable Respirators
- Reusable Respirators
- Video Showcase
- Image Downloads
- Literature Downloads
- Sales Team